How does the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa differ from a Multiple Entry Visitor Visa in Canada?

Typically, most individuals visiting Canada can stay for up to six months upon their initial entry into the country. Should they wish to extend their stay, they must apply for an extension and pay an additional fee.

Enter the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, designed to allow eligible parents and grandparents to visit their families in Canada for extended periods compared to a standard visitor visa.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa, offering multiple entries valid for up to 10 years. The significant distinction lies in the fact that the Super Visa permits individuals to stay in Canada for up to 5 years at a stretch, whereas a 10-year multiple entry visa only grants a status period of six months per entry.


To qualify for a Super Visa, you must:

– Be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.

– Obtain a formal invitation letter from your child or grandchild residing in Canada. This letter should include:

– A commitment to provide financial support throughout your visit.

– A comprehensive list of individuals living in the inviting person’s household.

– A copy of the inviting person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident documentation.

– Possess valid private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance provider. The medical insurance must:

– Be fully paid or have installments with a deposit (quotes are not acceptable).

– Be valid for a minimum of 1 year from your intended entry date into Canada.

– Cover your healthcare, hospitalization, and repatriation needs.

– Offer at least $100,000 in emergency coverage.


Please note: Private health insurance must remain valid for each entry into Canada. Be prepared to present proof of your paid insurance to a border services officer if requested upon your entry into Canada.


Additionally, you must:


– Apply for a Super Visa from outside Canada.

– Have your visa issued outside Canada (await instructions from the visa office).

– Be admissible to Canada.

– Undergo an immigration medical examination.

– Fulfill other specified conditions.

Please be aware that you cannot include dependents in this application.


Financial Support (Proof of Funds)

The child or grandchild inviting you must demonstrate that their household meets the minimum necessary income criteria. The following documents serve as examples of proof of funds:

– Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year.

– Employment Insurance Benefit statements.

– Employment letter containing salary details, job title, job description, and hiring date.

– Pay stubs.

– Bank statements.

Scroll to Top
Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?